Thursday, June 2, 2011

SXSW 2011: Day II, Part III


After aforementioned chill out time, we got a text from our friend Marvel saying that she was about to catch a Beats Antique show, and that they were sold out but there may be a chance for us to get in. Now, Beats Antique is a favorite band of mine. Their name pretty much says it all. They are an experimental/world/electro music group from San Fran, Cali, who make beats that are designed with bellydancing in mind. The "eye candy" of the group is Zoe Jakes, a bellydancer and percussion musician, and one of my idols. I've caught them before at ACL, and was determined not to miss them when I was in the same 100 Mile radius.

When we arrived, the show was indeed sold out (it was an RSVP only free show, but there was a limited number of wristbands, so technically the tickets "ran out"), and security was pretty tight. I even tried to stand on a nearby chair to try and catch a glimpse of the stage, and was immediately shouted at by a hefty security guard with a rabbi beard. So we decided it was a lost cause to try and get in, and walked away....

Right around to the back of the stage, where we and a few others had a near perfect view of the [back of the] band, and got to catch the last 40 or so minutes of the set. Savage.





Wasn't the best view I've ever had, but it was worth it and gave it a kind of backstage feel. PLUS, had I not been backstage, I wouldn't have been ballsy enough or at the proper place to jump in there and get this pic:

She was really cool to talk to, I told her I had been bellydancing for 3 years and wondered how to go about doing it professionally. She said she had danced for 9 years before making any money at it. "Go to clubs, parties, anywhere you can, something will come of it eventually," She said. We talked for a good 5 minutes, it was great and she was very real and friendly. So badass.


Huge "Obey" mural on a huge piece of wood. If I'd have had a moving truck with me, I would have snatched that sh*t... And gotten arrested, I'm sure.



Full band playing in the back of a truck. Amps, microphone, full drum kit and guitars. Only in Austin.


Later, the final part of day two!
-V
P.S. Got to keep a huge 20 foot mesh 2 part poster that is the design of the poster at the top of this entry. Came back later that night and took it home! Will make an awesome addition to my apartment one day, when I get one with walls big enough!

1 comment:

  1. Hello.
    I have a web site and I'd like to use one of your photos on it (the one with the truck). Would you mind? Please answer to me@eudes.es.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete